Thursday, July 30, 2009

Today..

Let's take a break from the old posts and pictures (i'll get back to that soon).
So today I had a class in the afternoon, with an enthusiastic teacher... and she was explaining to us how learning hungarian could be so easy, because there are some words that work as a stem from which all the others come from...
So, she started telling us:

Look at the word PILLANA... isn't it such a beautifull word?? And what about PILLANGÓ?
ooh, all the words with this stem, PILLA, are so beautifulll! Don't you think? Repeat after me! PI-LLA-NA! Once again! PI-LLA-NA! PI-LLAN-GÓ! isn't it beautifull? I really love these words!

Hmmm...

I'm sorry but no, I don't hear the music nor the harmony nor I can see the prettyness of those words regarding that the stem looks waaaay toooo much with another word in portuguese... (I'm sure you all portuguese out there thought of that too!)
I really wish I could answer her and say "yes, what a nice word!" But... hmmm... sorry, no. Strange images popped into my mind everytime she repeated (once again...) and I had to say them out loud. lol.

6 comments:

  1. Ahahah! Devem achar que és maluca! =P
    Mas não te preocupes: quando reparares já te vão sair as... palavras todas instintivamente!

    *

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOOOOOOOL

    perigoso isso ;)

    E afinal o que quer dizer Pillana e Pillangó? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pilla is like a fluttering movement, like blinking... Pillana is "wait a second", and Pillangó is "butterfly" (don't ask me what "wait a second has to do with it, because I really don't have a clue either!) **

    ReplyDelete
  4. "ooh, all the words with this stem, PILLA, are so beautifulll!"
    Ri-me tanto nesta parte XD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to correct you :)
    'pillanat' means something like moment. a short segment of time, so it can stand for 'wait a sec'.
    and yes, there is a 't' at the end. :)
    and it must come from the fluttering movement but i never thought about it cause we dont use it as a verb or in itself, only in the word 'szempilla', which means eyelash.
    and this is what it has to do with 'wait a second': the duration of a blink is a pillanat.

    now that its obvious that i like seem smart, can anyone tell me what pilla means in portuguese? :)

    ReplyDelete