Sunday, October 4, 2009

Robert Capa

I did a review (well, not exactly, more like a biography with comments from the guided tour) on the exposition of Robert Capa, here in Budapest.
It's in portuguese, and you can read it here:

arteportodaparte.blogspot.com

About about what I thought... well, it's a really extensive exposition, well-covering the life and work of the photographer. I usually don't go to photography expositions (I tend to choose the ones more close-related to drawing and painting), but I must say I truly loved what I saw. It made me look at photography in a different way. It's impressive to see his passion for war photography... and to think he only started taking pictures for a living because "it seemed interesting, let's try it" (he originally wanted to be a journalist). He seemed to be in the center of the action all the time, and you can see he showed war in such a "humane" way... I mean, the subjects he captures are always so true to themselves, so natural and in such difficult situations and environments, that you really feel he captured perfectly the human side of war. He didn't go to concentration camps, he didn't shoot the airplanes that bombarded the cities... He was always with the people, for the people and in the center of the action. He showed the world what war was all about. Not statistics nor technological advances and machinery... but people.

2 comments:

  1. One advantage of studying in a different city/country is the way you may do things, like going to see exhibitions of different kinds as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed!
    I was also able to see a good exhibition of William Turner and I just saw today that there is going to be an Alphonse Mucha exhibition in March... I can't wait for it! :D

    ReplyDelete