Monday, August 10, 2009

Adventures with the language...

Today I had the first "real" conversation (if I may call it that) in Hungarian!
We are searching for a flat, and this agent called me and started speaking in hungarian... so, obviously, I panicked! I started saying "nem ertem magyarul!!!" (which is I don't understand hungarian) and asked her, in hungarian, if she spoke "angolul"... she said "kicsit" (a little),but when I asked "when could we arrange a meeting" she answered me back "nem ertem, nem ertem!!"
Ok, it was already becoming quite dificult to comunicate at this point.
I was saying "SEE! APARTMENT! WHEN?" but the answer was always the same "NEM ERTEM! NEM ERTEM!"

So, it was time for drastic measures. I HAD to speak in hungarian.
and even using extremely simple sentences (I don't think they were actually gramatically correct, lol, but those "key words" were enough), I was able to understand her, and she understood me. After a few words (that envolved telling her that I wanted an apartment with 4 rooms, and that we couldn't see it tomorrow, it had to be the next day) we now have a meeting on "Szerda" (wednesday), at öt ora este (5 in the afternoon).
Or so I hope.
lol.
(in the meantime, Piotr and Britta were laughing at my panick and strugle, and of the fact they were not in the same situation...)

So, I am extremely proud of myself XD
After that, in the elevator, a hungarian lady said that I had a pretty necklace and I thanked. (of course, I only understood the word "szép", which is pretty, and she pointed to my necklace, but those are minor details.. I'm still proud, lol)

This whole episode is helpful at least to forget the major fail two days ago, in the bus, when I actually thanked a lady for stepping on her toes. Lol, am I nice or what?
(oh, thank you so much for allowing me to step on your toes, you're way too kind! It was always a dream of mine, you know? so thank you for your generosity!)

4 comments:

  1. If you do that in just 2 weeks, what about in one complete year? A success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O que eu me parti a rir com este post! (o Nuno é testemunha :P)

    Então com o "obrigado por me ter deixado calcar-lhe os dedos dos pés" parti-me toda! :P

    Ao menos vao ver apartamentos com 4 quartos... será que há? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bem... Isso tá a ser animado! Imagino se fosse comigo! Era impossivel! lool! Ganda Carolina! A virtuosa do Hungaro! :P

    ***
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looool a tua simpatia não tem limites xD xD
    ahhh só tu mesmo :P até estou a ver a tua figura e a tua atrapalhação e bochechas vermelhinhas xD
    Take care :) **

    ReplyDelete